It’s still a regular pit stop for local folks to grab a bite to eat, but the Parkside has a long history in Hopatcong as a community meeting-and-eating spot.
Then: Located on the corner of Hopatcong Road and Chincopee Avenue in Hopatcong, Anson’s store opened around 1910. Anson’s later became Nan Pratt’s, a Hopatcong favorite from the 1950s through the 1970s. In 1960, the Hopatcong Post Office was built next door.
Now: The Post Office moved to larger space up the street in the 1970s and the brick structure was demolished a few years thereafter. In recent years, the former Nan Pratt’s evolved from a grocery store to a delicatessen/restaurant and is now the Parkside.
These and dozens of other "Then and Now" images and stories are available in an updated version of Lake Hopatcong: Then and Now by Marty Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum. Purchase that and other lake-related history books here on the museum’s website. And see hundreds of photos and other historical paraphernalia at the museum, which is located in Hopatcong State Park.