The boat house that stands on Prospect Point today is not too different from what it was a century ago: a place to pick up provisions and a bite to eat. But now, you can get Vibram five-finger water shoes, too.
Then: The Shadow Lawn Boathouse, later known as the Prospect Point Boathouse, was built around 1905 and served as a store, snack bar, and boat rental facility with a bathing beach.
Now: In the 1930s, the boat house became the center for the Prospect Point Boat Yard. In 2006, the boat yard was transformed into the Main Lake Market, giving lake residents their first store in decades where basic groceries can be obtained by boat, a simple pleasure of a bygone era.
These and dozens of other "Then and Now" images and stories are available in an updated version of Lake Hopatcong: Then and Now by Marty Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum. Purchase that and other lake-related history books here on the museum’s website. And see hundreds of photos and other historical paraphernalia at the museum, which is located in Hopatcong State Park.