It’s a regular stop for lake diners today, but the Northwood Pavilion has a history that spans almost a century.
Then: In 1921, William Glasser established a general store, pavilion, and ice house in the Northwood section of Hopatcong. Glasser’s Northwood Pavilion was frequently used for dances and other community activities. As a courtesy, Glasser carried mail across the lake to and from Nolan’s Point, where he regularly picked up supplies. Glasser applied for and was granted a post office in 1933. The postal service rejected the name "Northwood" as there were already five others in the United States. The name "Henderson" was also turned down. The postal authorities noted that most mail came "c/o Glasser" and suggested that name.
Now: After Glasser sold the store in 1958 it was renamed the Northwood Inn and the Glasser Post Office moved to a building next door, where it remains today. The Northwood Inn operated until the mid-1990s. In 2005, a remodeled restaurant and general store opened. Today, Kabob’s at the Northwood Inn is a popular spot for food and drinks in Henderson Cove.
This and dozens of other "Then and Now" images and stories are available in an updated version of Lake Hopatcong: Then and Now by Marty Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum. Purchase that and other lake-related history books here on the museum’s website. And see hundreds of photos and other historical paraphernalia at the museum, which is located in Hopatcong State Park and is open on Sundays, from noon to 4 p.m., through the fall.